Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Little River




For the past couple weeks, I have been going through receipts, organizing invoices and statements from vendors and entering numbers into spreadsheets. We do our own taxes so all of our i's must be dotted and t's crossed. Most of the time, it is a pretty stressful task.

Besides accountants and tax prep offices, I can't think of too many people that enjoy this season but, I do always like to find at least one good thing about a situation. I started to think about what was happening last year around this time and I remembered the Little River Trail Run.

The LRTR is an annual (trail running) race held at the Little River Park right on the Durham/Orange County (NC) line. The park is absolutely beautiful with 7+ miles of hiking trails and 8 miles of mountain-biking trails. Of course you can also find hardwoods, creeks, hills, evergreens, wildlife and the peace and tranquility of the woods.

I grew up in a small town in Connecticut with woods all around, ponds and creeks to play in and plenty of wildlife to keep me entertained. Heading up to Durham and spending time in the woods waiting for runners to pass to snap their photos was right up my ally.

My husband and I set-up in different locations along the trail to catch both the 7k and the 10 mile runners - by a lovely creek, up a winding hill and the finish line. The runners, from the looks of the photos, were enjoying themselves; some made funny faces and had very interesting things to say as they ran by. I myself would have been so out of breath I wouldn't have been able to say a word!

The top photo is overlooking one of the creeks. The photo below is of me, making sure I set-up the camera in the correct position to capture the runners and the tree in the top left.

Lara Schuhmann

No comments: